Saturday 1 October 2011

Social Media And My Thoughts...

Social media has become this entity with god-like proportions.  You have the believers and the non-believers.  You have the individuals who can't live without constantly updating statuses, tweeting every detail, and the need to join every new social medium online that's offered.  The need to be part of something big and wonderful overtakes normal human interface.  The non-believers are those who are forced to partake of this worship-like society but relegate it to work purposes so that the boss doesn't fire their ass.  Once they get home the closest thing to technology they come into contact with will be the television.  And even then.

While it's absolutely amazing that ALL social media is apparently at this time, pretty much free, not one single developer has created their little monster for the betterment of mankind.  Oh, are you yawning as you wake up as I wave this cup of coffee under your nose?  They did it for the almighty dollar.  Ok, I realize you are aware, but I just feel that sometimes people lose grip of this fact.  Especially when I see people kvetching about their recently adored game online crapping out because of the developer revising and resetting constantly, which usually has to do with accommodating all the freakin' ads that are required to keep it free for the public. 

= 
Yes, I have a FB account, actually two, well three if you count the one I put together for the office (non-profit industry).  I also have, now wait for it, three twit accounts, and now a blog.  It's my kids' fault.  I used to only have email, which I thought was the COOLEST thing, and then was introduced to ICQ.  Remember that dinosaur?  And it snowballed from there.  FB is the crystal meth of all the social media.  OMG I can't believe how quickly it sucked me in.  I am a geminii, so social interaction when I want it is a must, and wow, it's available 24/7 there.  It can be a time waster, oh yes.  But in it's defence, I have reconnected with people I cared about from childhood, my teen years,



and on a local level. 


Some of these are people that I wouldn't have heard a word about until meeting up with another person in my golden years, who would have said, "Oh - soandso - she died 5 years ago".  It's almost like this is a second chance to reconnect and revalue, and sometime revisit relationships.  I don't mean 2nd chance to fool around, but a 2nd chance to fix something that went wrong in a friendship, or reach out to that person in highschool you wanted to know, but it wasn't maybe the cool thing to do, or to connect and network locally.

Yes, my social circle has widened, my goals and priorities have changed, and I have gotten alot more opportunities to take up and run with, or to allow to bypass depending on the circumstance, because of social media.  I have been able to rekindle friendships, let friendships go, make changes in the world by announcing whatever project I'm working on - http://www.thegreatcanadiankayakchallenge.com/kayak-events/kayak-for-the-heart-of-it , http://www.sudburycelticfestival.com/ , http://www.northernontarioschoolofscottishdance.webs.com/ , and writing for the Yummy Mummy Club - http://www.yummymummyclub.ca/motherhood-articles .  Because of social media, I got involved.  Prior to all of this, I was a working mom, who watched alot of tv, read alot and crocheted alot.  It took everything in my husband's power to get me out of the house, which was a metaphor for getting me out of my shell.  I found my voice. 

Now just try and shut me up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment